Review Detail

4.6 13
Georgia
Acousticub
Acousticub
May 12, 2010 16810
I must be at the wrong Roy's Hideaway !!
Overall rating

Friendly

Maintained

Safety

Relative Value

Let me begin by saying that I have traveled the country what feels like several times over and have visited 90% if not all of the gay campgrounds throughout the country. During my journey I have relied on several of the gay camping resources available online for both directions and for recomendations posted by fellow campers. I have come across my share of postings that were somewhat exagerated either by a biased camper or perhaps an employee of the park posing as a camper that just visited the park and decided to post a review with exagerated comments. I thought I had seen it all until I made a trip to Roy's Hideaway, influenced by the postings made on this site I was all but certain Roy's was the best kept secret that I was just finding out about. NOT THE CASE BY EVEN THE LOWEST STANDARDS! Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that Roy's is a terrible campground, it is just no where close to being the Roy's that had been described in the previous 5 postings. Perhaps these postings help to build my expectations a little too high but I was expecting paradise in Collins GA and unless there is another Roy's Hideaway in Collins that I don't know about I would recommend the boys in Collins get out a little more in their pusuit of paradise before writing anymore reviews.
On a 1 to 10 scale I would say Roy's is a solid 5 for the overall rating of the park. Upon arrival my first thoughts were that the roads were somewhat difficult to navigate with all of the ponds on the property. It appears as though the property was used as a fish hatchery in the past as all of the ponds looked to be placed close together with just enough room for single lane gravel path between them. Our site did have 50amp service with water and sewer connection but I was told that only a few had sewer connections so I was lucky to get one, although I don't know how lucky I really was considering there was only one other camper in the park not counting the eight or so trailer residents.The site was level for the most part and required little effort to set-up. Restroom facilities were of average condition and cleaned satisfactory for the average camper. The pool area appeared to be fairly new but was certainly a residential designed pool not commercial and it would only accomodate at most maybe 15 or 20 people and that would be pushing it. In my opinion Roy's has really limited their potential by not spending the extra money on a commercial pool but for what it is it is clean and nice for smaller groups to enjoy. There was a hot tub at the pool as well as a snack bar for customers to order what appeared to be typical fast food items.
As far as lush, manicured grounds resembling paradise, NOT HERE, the grass was cut and the property was maintained about the same as the trailer parks surrounding the property that you drive through to get to Roy's. I can't attest to the complentary taco and spagetti nights as I did't care to stick around to take advantage of them but apparently this is an added bonus to the trailer residents in addition to lot rent for residents that is probably one of the cheapest I have seen, notice I said cheapest not best value as I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, my guess is that Roy's residents got just that.
So I guess the main message in my posting is take the advise of fellow campers postings with caution as Roy's Hide away along with its postings are a prime example where the gay camping resources available online can't always be relied upon in fact in some cases they look down right suspiciously like paid advertising, you be the judge.
Thanks for reading and Happy Camping !
Rocky
Report this review Was this review helpful? 15 13

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 17, 2010
While I agree that everyone that visits a campground is going to have a different opinion, I wanted to point out a couple of things about this review. We have lived at Roy's Hideaway since mid-summer. We have also traveled to many other gay campgrounds across the region and by far the is the BEST campground we have stayed at for any length of time. This is not saying anything negative about the other campgrounds we have visited - we enjoyed our stay in those as well, but we have found that we truly enjoy being at this campground. We were not paid for our review and we do not work for the campground in any capacity - and I can assure you that no one that has posted a review of the campground has been paid a dime for what they have said here.

There are a couple of items that I do want to point out though about this review of the campground. First, this review gave the campground a 3.0 for friendliness - if you had met the owner while you were here - you would certainly see that Roy is one of the best guys around. He will treat you great, make sure that you are having a great time, and will bend over backwards to make sure that everything is meeting your needs. Not to mention the full time residents are some of the most friendliest people that you will meet. Second, this review gave the campground a 2.0 for safety. There are absolutely no safety hazards here at all. Roy is the most conscience person that we have met when it comes to safety. There have been many times since we have been here that Roy has moved things, changed things, etc because he is concerned about the safety of his guests. Third, this review mentions that the campground is maintained about the same as the surrounding trailer parks - unless I am missing something - I haven't seen any surrounding trailer parks. Yes, there are houses and other homes around, but there are no trailer parks surrounding the campground. Next, this review mentions the ponds that are on the property. For us, this is a huge plus. Rather than some campgrounds that are lots of flat land - this campground is set apart by the ponds that are across the property. The ponds are fully stocked and allow fishing. You can even keep your fish if you want and eat it for dinner. The ponds are also very natural and beautiful, unlike some campgrounds that have man-made artificial ponds that are thrown in to beautify the property. This is the perfect setting for camping. Fourth, what other campground can you go to and receive a FREE spaghetti dinner and FREE taco dinner? Not to mention that these are all home-made and home-cooked. The tacos are not in a box and simply warmed up - they are fresh hamburger meat with real home-made taco shells - much better than we have ever had at a restaurant. Finally, this review says, "this is an added bonus to the trailer residents in addition to lot rent for residents that is probably one of the cheapest I have seen, notice I said cheapest not best value as I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, my guess is that Roy's residents got just that" - I can assure you as a full time resident here at Roy's that we got way more than we bargained for and can guarantee you that this is the best value in camping. We have lived at another campground full time prior to coming here and we paid almost the same amount there as we did here; however, at the other campground there were very few activities for residents, the owners did not care nearly as much as Roy does about the residents, and the facility was not nearly as clean (not to mention no free food!). What makes this place such a great VALUE to us is not the price that we paid, but the fact that we have an owner that cares about us and treats us like part of his family. When you live full time at a campground - it is not the amenities that you have, but it is how the owner treats his residents and the full time people that support the campground - to us that Is what makes this place a VALUE.

So, I couldn't agree more that reviews always cannot be relied upon when looking for a campground because this review has rated some items really low when we know that those items could have been given a much higher review.
September 18, 2010
I rec'd a call yesterday regarding the review submitted by rocky31819. Please know this review was not written by SCED Scott and Edward of ATL. I'm so disapointed that some members of the S.Bears have stated this is us. I just created a login for this site yesterday when I was informed of this SLANDER. I've never heard of RainbowRV and we don't go too many RV sites...ever. So, everyone please NOTE: This not us. We live in ATL Scott is working full time and travelling otherwise dealing w/family matters. As for me I'm retired from IRS and wouldn't take another job anywhere especially at a campground. So for whoever is spreading the rumours - STOP IT!!! There must be another Scott and Edward that may live or work @ LJ's. I've contacted the owner/moderator of this page concerning this matter. This entire matter is why many are stepping out of any involvement with any Gay social club and sites.
2 results - showing 1 - 2